‘L’ Car No. 1, Chicago and South Side Rapid Transit Railroad Company, 1892
Manufactured by Jackson & Sharp Company, Wilmington, Delaware
‘L’ Car No. 1, built in 1892, is the last remaining car from Chicago’s first fleet of elevated rail cars. Originally pulled by a steam locomotive, the car transported passengers from the Loop to the fairgrounds in Jackson Park. Car No. 1 continued to operate until the 1930s.
> Rapid Transit in Chicago
Chicago History Museum